Our Blessing Named Jesse

Jesse Quintin was born September 26, 2007, the much-loved fifth son of Kristan and Chad. He was diagnosed shortly after birth with AV Canal Heart Defect and Down Syndrome. Thursday, January 10th, Jesse had surgery to repair his heart defect. Friday morning he suddenly went into cardiac arrest. After 45 min. of CPR he was attached to life support. By God's healing hand his heart started to beat again and he came off life support on January 13. We created this blog to keep everyone updated.





Thursday, March 6, 2008

March 6, 2008 Update

Greetings from "Holland"! Life has been so very busy here in Holland. I am sorry I haven't been diligent at getting updates on the blog, but you can be assured that "no news is good news." Jesse has been doing great since being home, with only some minor problems. He continues to have mucous issues, I presume from still having extra fluid in his system. He usually coughs quite a bit in the morning, and usually throws up every day or so. That isn't such a big problem, but it often soon after he has taken his medicine. He also has had a fever a few times, but nothing serious. I did take him to the doctor (in Sterling) once when his O2 sats were low for a couple days, but he wasn't too worried and the problem has resolved. I have been discouraged that his levels haven't seemed to improve since leaving the hospital, so I am not sure that he will be coming off oxygen anytime soon.

Well today is March 6th - the day we can go back to a normal breastmilk diet. But since it is a Thursday, I have decided to wait a couple days. If there is a problem, I don't want to have to decide whether we need to go to the ER over the weekend. So I will probably start on Sunday. I was disappointed a couple weeks ago when I stopped pumping due to lack of any milk. I had so hoped that Jesse would be able to nurse after his surgery. But, 5 months is a long time to pump and the stress of the hopsital stay really decreased my supply. I think I have enough stored breastmilk for about a month and then will have to go to formula. We are also excited about starting food soon - baby cereal.

Jesse has had visits from a occupational therapist and vision therapist. We are doing some exercises to increase head strength, but he doesn't like too much tummy time. The vision therapist is coming because of his "nystagmus" (involuntary movements of the eye). I will probably start researching this a little more.

I will let everyone know how the transition back to breastmilk goes.

Love,
Kristan

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful update. I check daily to see if there is any new happenings. I will keep up the prayers that the transition goes well. I am also a very strong advocate of breast milk, and understand where you are coming from. What a blessing that all is going so well. Always thinking and praying for you and your family.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for updating us all. You're in our prayers EVERY day. Emily got your card - thank you. We love you all sooooo much!

    For His glory & Honor
    Aunt Kim

    1 Peter 1:6-7 "In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you today ... Did you start breastmilk?

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checking in. I wish I could see you more. If my whole family would stay healthy, maybe I would make it your way. How did the switch go? I hope all is well. I will call soon! Amee ♥♥

    ReplyDelete