Our Blessing Named Jesse

Jesse Quintin was born September 26, 2007, the much-loved fifth son of Kristan and Chad. He was diagnosed shortly after birth with AV Canal Heart Defect and Down Syndrome. Thursday, January 10th, Jesse had surgery to repair his heart defect. Friday morning he suddenly went into cardiac arrest. After 45 min. of CPR he was attached to life support. By God's healing hand his heart started to beat again and he came off life support on January 13. We created this blog to keep everyone updated.





Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday, January 21 updates

Jesse has been fever-free all day!

The test results came back that he doesn't have RSV, but we're not sure what, if any, infection is there. He still has chest congestion - coughing up some stuff from his lungs. Please continue to pray for healing & protection from any type of infection.

The doctors are slowly weaning Jesse off the nitric oxide, which reduces the pressure in his lungs. He's still getting 40% oxygen through a high-flow nasal canula.

He's eating really well - 4-5 ounces per bottle every 3-4 hours. What a praise since we hear this special formula tastes really nasty. Continue to pray for wisdom for Kristan & Chad & the doctors as far as continuing the Portagen formula (which is working - praise God - the nasty chest drainage has stopped!) vs. switching to defatted breastmilk.

Kristan, and Jesse, got a good night sleep last night. Kristan had a private "sleep room" in the hospital. Her neck is still sore, but she feels better after her first full night's sleep in 2 weeks. Grin.

The doctor is considering removing Jesse's chest tube. Please pray that they will have wisdom & discernment as to whether this is the right course to take. They are always trying to balance the risks of leaving things in vs. the risks of taking them out.

Jesse has extremely fragile skin. Pray for supernatural skin strength to resist tearing from all the tape and other stuff attached to him.

Thank you for your continued prayers. Jesse is a living testimony to the amazing power of God.

Love,
Aunt Kim

8 comments:

  1. we will be keeping you in our prayers and hearts, Love from Crook, but fills like the North Pole. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice to hear your voice! You sounded great. The rest must have been good. I hope you continue to find time to rest and care for yourself. What a great message........Jesse is continuing to improve. I pray things continue to move in the right direction. Think of you often and send my love.......Amee♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your updates. The pictures are so precious and it is so nice to be able to picture Jesse in our minds as we pray. So many are praying here in St. Louis. Tonight, one of the first questions at Bible Study was how is the baby?? The blog has given such a testimony. We'll being praying for you both as well, that you'll find real rest. Marian and Don.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God from whom all blessing flow! We'll continue to pray for all of you guys. Praise the Lord Kristan was able to get some sleep last night. Thank you for the postings and letting us all know how to pray for the needs. Jesse is truly being used for God's glory, and so is the whole family.

    Love from the Dirks Family in Chappell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kristan,
    I have been praying for you today as you have been at the hospital alone. I know you are undoubtedly missing the rest of your family, but we were sure happy to see them again! We have gotten used to having the boys around and it was quiet and lonely without them over the weekend. Matthew and Collin were exicted to tell us all about the Stock Show, and the time they spent with Jesse. Collin was feeling bad for Matthew because he hadn't gotten to see Jesse as long (according to Collin, Matt only got 15 minutes, but he (Collin) got to stay with Jesse for two hours?!!). Anyway I was glad to see that they were just very happy for the time they spent with you, and seeing Jesse was the highlight for them even though he is still hooked to so many tubes.
    School went good today, I feel so privileged to be able to teach your boys during this time. It is a joy to come alongside you and Chad in your desire to raise them up in the fear of the Lord.
    I continue to pray for Jesse's quick and complete healing. It will be a joy to see your whole family together and home again soon! In Jesus' love, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kristan & Chad,

    In the car today I heard this song & it made me think about sweet little Jesse and how you must feel sometimes as parents. I pray that God is strengthening you each & every day. That you will grow to trust Him and His unending faithfulness as He shows Himself to you every day. It reminds me of something I said to you when I was in Denver - that for some people simple faith is not their struggle, but for me (and Kristan) it is. So, God has made Himself so evident in our lives that we would know that He is GOD and that He cares for us. I pray that you'll be reminded of that over & over again. I love you so much.

    Remember:
    2 Corinthians 1:8-11 "For we do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many."

    I still can't believe that you gave your testimony at church BEFORE all these struggles with Jesse. God is a God of perfect timing. I know He is continuing to touch many, many lives through you & your family.

    Aunt Kim in Memphis, TN
    "He's my Son" - by Mark Schultz
    I'm down on my knees again tonight
    I'm hoping this prayer will turn out right
    See there is a boy that needs Your help
    I've done all that I can do myself
    His mother is tired
    I'm sure You can understand
    Each night as he sleeps
    She goes in to hold his hand
    And she tries not to cry
    As the tears fill her eyes

    CHORUS:
    Can You hear me?
    Am I getting through tonight?
    Can You see him?
    Can You make him feel all right?
    If You can hear me
    Let me take his place somehow
    See, he's not just anyone
    He's my son

    Sometimes late at night I watch him sleep
    I dream of the boy he'd like to be
    I try to be strong and see him through
    But God who he needs right now is You
    Let him grow old
    Live life without this fear
    What would I be
    Living without him here
    He's so tired and he's scared
    Let him know that You're there

    CHORUS

    Can You hear me?
    Can You see him?
    Please don't leave him
    He's my son

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristan, thanks for the call last night. I hope you enjoyed a long, warm bath before a good night's sleep again. We continue to pray that Jesse's heart and lungs will heal and gain strength and these other health issues will resolve soon so that Jesse can leave the CICU and begin the journey home. Please let me know when you want me to come visit again. We love you!!!
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jesse was born just 5 days after our last son was born and a homeschooling friend forwarded me a copy of the prayer request just after Jesse's birth. Having a little boy (who looks a lot like Jesse, I think!) the same age makes my heart overflow as I follow Jesse's struggles. Your faith is extraordinary and your family is an inspiration to ours. I am watching your blog daily and praying that this too shall pass and Jesse will be able to go home and live a healthy, happy life with his family. May God bless you as you faithfully follow Him through this. Liz from Lamar, Nebraska

    ReplyDelete