Our Blessing Named Jesse

Jesse Quintin was born September 26, 2007, the much-loved fifth son of Kristan and Chad. He was diagnosed shortly after birth with AV Canal Heart Defect and Down Syndrome. Thursday, January 10th, Jesse had surgery to repair his heart defect. Friday morning he suddenly went into cardiac arrest. After 45 min. of CPR he was attached to life support. By God's healing hand his heart started to beat again and he came off life support on January 13. We created this blog to keep everyone updated.





Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday, January 17th - updated at 5:00pm

Jesse has done well on his pressure-assisted respiratory tests. He has one more to go. Then doctors will review his chest x-rays and if all looks good his breathing tube will be removed at noon. Pray for God's hand in helping this all to go smoothly.

Dr. Mitchell just informed me that Jesse has developed "Chylothorax" - there is a link to a description in the "Links" section of this blog. It means some lymphatic fluid is accumulating in his chest and draining from the chest tube. The first course of treatment is to change his diet to a special formula. I think they are still planning to take out the breathing tube today.

5:00pm update
They did not take out the breathing tube today as they are waiting for "atelectasis" in his lungs to clear up a little more. (This is the collapse of lung tissue / aveoli in the upper lungs.) They are now planning to take out the breathing tube tomorrow.

Jesse was very happy this morning - looking around a lot. But after a while he got quite agitated - I think partially because he was hungry. He was taken off feeds at 6:00am in preparation for taking out the breathing tube. They ended up giving him more sedation to calm him down, so he has been knocked out all afternoon. They just started him on his new formula, called Portagen, but I am investigating using de-fatted breastmilk and hope to talk to a lactation consultant if possible.

Grandma Mari kept the boys overnight at her house last night and brought them down for a visit today. We had a nice lunch and then played a little and went to the library here at the hospital. Chad then took them to the Bass Pro Shop and I think they have been there a couple hours. The hospital is providing a hotel for a couple nights and we are planning for all of us to stay there tonight while Wanda comes to stay with Jesse overnight. Then the boys will have an exciting day at the Stock Show / Rodeo tomorrow. I am hoping I might be able to get a good night's rest in a real bed tonight!

Thanks for all the prayers and comments on the blog. We love to hear from everyone.

Love,
Kristan

14 comments:

  1. What a blessing. I am so excited for your family. God is so good and its neat to see how his healing power worked with Jesse.

    We will continue to keep Jesse and your entire family in our prayers. I had someone ask me this morning how Jesse was doing, and he was also excited for you and was going to keep praying. Your in the thoughts and prayers of many people you know and don't know.

    In Christ,
    Craig and Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chad, Kristan, and Jesse,
    We are so glad to hear that the tests went well so far. We continue steadfast in prayer for each of you, especially as Jesse begins to breath completely on his own!
    The boys are so excited about coming to you. We are missing them, though! Please give them our love.
    We praise the Lord for His faithfulness and for the way He is showing Himself mighty in Jesse's life. Psalm 63:7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. 8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.
    Rejoicing under His wings and in His strong right hand of power,
    Twila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Chad & Kristan,

    We have been praying for Jesse and all of his family - and have been so blessed to follow his journey on your blog. Our church family is also praying for you all. Thank you for keeping us updated and for sharing your faith with us. You've asked that God be glorified in all that is happening and I can see it daily in your reports as well as in the lives of those you are touching. God Bless, Amy & Chris J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psa 55:17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.

    May you be strengthened thru the prayers of those who love you....Sylvia G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say HI. I was here at work and you and your family were on my mind and I had a need to talk to you. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you all!! ♥ Amee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I realize that Raymer is quite a bit smaller than Crook but since two of us are praying for ya'll that means a pretty high percentage of the community is involved. Love ya J & D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God for Jesse's continued improvement and His abounding grace. We continue to pray for Jesse and your entire family.
    Darren and Stefani Gebhart

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was good to see you again today. Sorry I left so early, but it was good to get home before dark. I hope to come again soon -- let me know when works out best.

    Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all, glad to hear that Jesse is progressing. In His time, He makes all things beautiful, in His time. I`m glad to hear you will be getting a good nights rest.Love from Crook, Jim and Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Kristan & Chad,

    Yep, once again, Jesse is a living testimony that God is not a God bound by statistics or chance or luck, but He is a God of purpose and intention. I can only imagine the testimony that Jesse will be able to share one day of all the "challenges" he has faced, and how GOD brought him through each and every one of them.

    When you get a chance, read the story of Gideon in Judges - Chapter 7.

    Here's two particular verses (2-3): "The LORD said to Gideon, "The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand, lest Israel boast over me, saying, 'My own hand has saved me.' Now therefore proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, 'Whoever is fearful and trembling, let him return home and hurry away from Mount Gilead.'" Then 22,000 of the people returned, and 10,000 remained."

    I continue to pray that no one or no thing will "steal God's glory." I pray that everyone will see the works of His hands and know it was GOD who saved little Jesse's life - no matter what odds are against him.

    I love Jesse so much ... and all you guys, too. Call me as often as humanly possible, cuz you know I think about you guys all day.

    Love,
    Aunt Kim
    Memphis, TN

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chad and Krsitan.
    We are so thrilled that the boys were able to be with you yesterday. They need you and we are praying for them also. We know how hard it must be on them.
    Continue to draw strengh from the Lord for HE IS GOOD!
    Brian and Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chad & Kristen,

    Thank you for keeping us updated on Jesse. Its so good to know how to pray for all of you. We know how difficult it is being in that hospital...its like being in another world. But you can know for certain that we all love you guys and are are keeping you in our prayers all day. So happy the boys can come spend time with you. I really hope you got a good nights rest. It is so awsome to see God working in Jesse and both of you. What a testimony to you are to all of us. Praise God for what He is doing in your lives!
    GOD IS GOOD!
    Jim & Terry from Crook

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that Jesse is doing good now! I hope he gets to come home soon! You are so much stronger than I would be! Please keep updating!
    Love,
    Le Ann, Ryan, Lizzy, and Emmalee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing the progress of Jesse and your faith. We can FEEL the prayers being answered as we read the blog each day. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. God bless your time with the boys. Earline

    ReplyDelete